Tuesday 28 October 2014

Visiting a Dentist

3 months ago, I had a swell in my gums at the front of my lower jaw. It was so painful and uncomfortable that I decided to visit someone that I dread seeing - a dentist. For many years, since the removal of my braces in 2008, I had always avoided the dentist whenever I could because each time I stepped into the dentist's office, it would mean pain. Even though I'm someone who is very tolerant of such sensation, I couldn't stand the piercing pain when a scaler tip touched my gums. And every time, there would be blood.

However, this time, the swell was my turning point. Initially, I thought it was just a minor infection and some medication and sorts would be all. Reality struck me when the dentist revealed my oral condition - general and localised gingivitis (gum infection: general refers to the entire mouth while localised is the prominent swell at the front), receding gums, decay and sensitive teeth. As such, it's the first time I was given antibiotics, asked to go through curettage and did a filling. Curettage is a deep gum pocket cleaning after injecting anaesthesia.  All these might seem alright, nothing serious, but what scared me the most was the effects of receding gums.

Apparently, our gums are not just pieces of flesh filling up the gaps between our teeth; there is bone in the gums which helps to keep our teeth erected and firm. When we don't have good oral hygiene, bacteria are trapped in the gum pockets and slowly degrade the bones. These bones can't be restored. So eventually, the gums will be "eaten away" and the teeth will start to lose their foothold and drop off. This usually happens to people with considerable years of living. Yet, it's happening to me!
So, my oral routine started to change. Now, I brush twice a day followed by a mouth rinse and each brush takes about 3 minutes. Just after a week or so, I could see the great improvement in my gum condition. There was no more bleeding and my gums look healthier with a tinge of pink (instead of red/brown).

I'm not sure if it's coincidental or fate that I found a job at a dental clinic not long after the incident. Having worked there for 3 months, I've seen many oral conditions. Some good but mostly bad, and there were a few really gross ones. They serve as a constant reminder for me to take good care of my teeth and gums. I also became more conscious like always keeping a lookout for trapped food and black spots.

I also came to know that I'm not the only one who's frightened by the thought of seeing a dentist and the reason is always pain. In fact, these are usually the ones who have poor oral hygiene. It's a vicious cycle, really. It's difficult to maintain good oral condition without regular updates on it from a professional. So when people don't do their regular check ups because of fear, their oral conditions deteriorate and it is these poor oral conditions that cause the pain.

Fear of pain -> avoid dentists -> oral problems -> real pain -> continue avoiding dentists

Therefore, my inspiration for this post is to help those who fear dentists and warn those who always think that they have no time, or there is no need, for dental check ups. Don't wait till your gums show signs of swelling and pain before you start taking action; by then, it will be too late. When you feel something, it means it's really bad. Teeth are not just cosmetically appealing, you need them for eating, so don't ignore them!

Below are 3 simple tips to care for your teeth and gums:

1. Practice good oral care
Floss, brush and rinse. Take note of the sequence! When you floss, wrap your tooth with the string and "scoop" out the dirt. Don't scrub your teeth with it; it will just spread the bacteria all over. Morning floss is optional. Brush at least twice a day. Use a soft brush and don't brush too hard, or else your gums will get hurt. Position your toothbrush on your gumline (where the gums and teeth meet) and go in circular motion. Brush for about 2-3 minutes, focusing more on areas that bleed easily or prone to infection/food trapping. Rinsing after you brush helps to clear up remaining bacteria that can't be reach by your toothbrush but rinsing alone does not do the trick! Stubborn dirt are not easily removed by rinsing; you need to dislodge them from your teeth physically by flossing and brushing. Choose the mouth wash that suits you best. Personally, I am not fond of the spicy/tingling feeling of Listerine, so I use Colgate's Fruity mouth wash. I don't think there is any significant difference between mouth washes, so just go with the one you prefer most.

2. Go for regular dental check ups
At least twice a year for scaling and polishing. The dentists can also help to check for decays that are not easily visible from your point of view. At the same time, they can provide you with feedback and help you improve on your brushing etc. I know that prices can be a turn off sometimes but it's just twice a year. Just do a simple scaling and polishing, and maybe a filling or two. If you don't take preventive measures, it will cost you even more when something like root canal/denture is needed.

3. Overcome your fear and relax
If you have been brushing well and going for regular check ups, there's nothing to fear about visiting the dentist. Just get over the first one or two visits and the subsequent ones are no challenge to you. Go in, have a chat with the dentist, rinse your mouth (basic courtesy), lie down and open your mouth, breathe deeply through your nose (it calms you down and prevents fogging on the dentist's mirror). Most dentists, or at least the ones whom I work with, are very friendly and understanding. If you feel really uncomfortable, you can always raise your hand to signal to the dentist or ask for an injection. That's if it's REALLY unbearable, be reasonable.

I'm not publicising for any clinic or for the profession. It's just a heartfelt advice after the horrifying incident of gingivitis. Cheers to healthy teeth and gums, everyone!

Lots Of Love (LOL),
Jensylee

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I’m sorry to hear about your oral condition. I can’t believe it became worse, and has already become a serious matter. I’m at least glad to know that you learned from your experience. Anyway, thanks for providing those tips, for us to be reminded and encouraged about our oral health! All the best to you!

    Karen Perry @ Brook Side Smiles

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for dropping by. Your comments are greatly appreciated:)